Mobile Beacon was created by a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and the second largest national Educational Broadband Service (EBS) provider in the United States. Our mission is to provide schools, libraries and nonprofits with high-speed, mobile Internet access to maximize their philanthropic impact and better serve our world. For example, our service helps:
- Schools provide out-of-school access to disadvantaged or at-risk students who do not have Internet access at home;
- Community-based organizations provide Internet access and computers to low-income and homeless families to put them back on the path to opportunity;
- Libraries bring more digital library resources out into the community to benefit seniors and disabled Americans.
We’re passionate about what we do and we’re looking to grow our team with people who share our commitment as a mission-based organization. We’re offering a unique opportunity for the right candidate who would enjoy helping nonprofit organizations better serve their communities and is able to help define, develop, and implement scalable processes that will shape how our organization runs in the future. It’s an exciting time to join as we are experiencing tremendous growth and demand.
Marketing & Communications Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Date: July, 2016
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Marketing & Communications Manager will be a strategic thought partner capable of thriving in a small entrepreneurial environment. The successful candidate will be a hands-on, participative professional who will implement and manage marketing, communications, public relations, and social media strategies to build and enhance relationships with our customers, partners, and external constituencies.
- Develop and execute short and long-term marketing, communication, and social media plans.
- Drive marketing strategies, deploy associated campaigns, and track outcomes.
- Track customer lifecycle and implement programs to drive retention and growth.
- Implement and manage lead generation programs to feed the sales pipeline.
- Manage the marketing/promotion for events; track and report on events, relationships, and interactions.
- Further develop and enhance Mobile Beacon’s brand. Maintain all brand guidelines and ensure standards are followed.
- Establish applicable performance metrics and targets for all marketing programs and report on results.
- Plan, write, and edit materials to disseminate Mobile Beacon news and information, including press releases, media alerts, editorials, blog posts, and video stories.
- Proactively build and maintain long-term relationships with relevant journalists, media organizations, editorial boards, and freelancers.
- Drive the overall public relations strategies and tactics including press releases, media credentialing, compiling press kits, pitching story ideas, arranging interviews, and providing crisis management if needed.
- Collaborate with the Sales team to collect, package, and distribute success stories from Mobile Beacon clients in written, audio and/or video form.
- Identify and secure speaking engagements for Mobile Beacon on relevant educational and broadband equity issues and policies.
Community Outreach Programs:
- Develop and implement an outreach strategy to build nonprofit partnerships.
- Assist in development and promotion of pilot programs in Mobile Beacon’s target markets.
- Develop and maintain relationships with organizations, advocates, and broadband policy leaders.
- Provide business development support to sales and executive staff as needed.
- Create and deploy surveys that measure the quality of our organization’s services and social impact. Compile and report on results.
- Keep Mobile Beacon staff up-to-date on relevant programs and partnerships.
- Develop templates and communication materials to support Sales and Customer Service staff.
- Maintain internal company newsletter.
- Provide direct management to Social Media Specialist.
- Hire, train, develop and hold staff accountable; conduct performance reviews and provide feedback and corrective action when necessary.
- Serve as primary point of contact with our creative design firm to set priorities, approve work, and manage new projects.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Journalism, or related field required.
- 5 – 7 years professional experience in marketing and/or communications.
- Demonstrated experience working with media and press organizations.
- Nonprofit or business-to-business experience a plus.
- Management/Supervisory experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies:
- Enthusiasm for and positive representation of Mobile Beacon’s mission, goals, and culture.
- Motivated, proactive, and organized self-starter able to wear many hats.
- Knowledge of the values and practices that align customer needs and satisfaction as primary considerations in all business decisions, and ability to leverage that information in creating customized customer programs.
- Advanced knowledge of practices associated with building and maintaining effective working relationships with all levels of internal and external constituencies.
- Strong media relations skills and contacts.
- Excellent writing and research skills (pitch letters, press releases, white papers, etc).
- Articulate and poised with strong presentation skills.
- Effective collaborator: strong interpersonal and team skills.
- Integrity/Ethics: represents our company’s best interests in all public communications, serves as a company spokesperson, and maintains confidentiality.
- Strong analytical thinker with demonstrated experience tracking and reporting on marketing programs.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve bottom line results.
- Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple projects.
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Access, Content Management Systems, Adobe).
- Strong knowledge of social networking platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+).
- Experience with customer relationship management systems (Salesforce preferred).
- Available to participate in events, including some evenings and weekends.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work environment is an office environment.
- Must be able to sit at work station, concentrate viewing computer screens for an extended period of time.
- High utilization of office equipment, phone, computer, fax, etc.
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
NOTE: This job description is only a summary of the typical functions of the job and is not intended to be a comprehensive list of all job responsibilities, tasks, and duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
Please send resume, cover letter (including salary requirements) and samples of communications (for example – press releases, media alerts, blog posts, newsletter) to [email protected].